Many organizations are coming together to coordinate fundraisers, donation drives and cleanup efforts for the numerous businesses and communities damaged during the riots and looting throughout Minneapolis and St. Paul. Check out the lists below to see how you can help make a positive change for our hurting community.
- Twin Cities Rebuild for the Future Fund: donate here
Three of the largest Twin Cities funders – The Greater Twin Cities United Way, Minneapolis Foundation and St. Paul & Minnesota Foundation – teamed up to support immediate rebuilding efforts for small and minority-owned businesses that were destroyed as a result of the unrest in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death. As of June 5, they had raised $1.3 million. The three organizations also are exploring ways to create lasting systemic change.
- Restore North Fund: donate here
The West Broadway Business and Area Coalition (WBC) and Northside Funders Group have teamed up to raise funds to support businesses along West Broadway Avenue in north Minneapolis rebuild. As of June 8, they have raised $1.7 million.
- Lake Street Council: donate here
The Lake Street Council started the We Love Lake Street fund to help small businesses and nonprofits rebuild their storefronts, reopen their businesses and serve their neighborhoods. As of June 8, they have raised $5.6 million. Visit the website to donate.
- The Minneapolis Foundation: TBD
Mayor Frey recently announced that The Minneapolis Foundation would serve as the fiscal agent for citywide recovery efforts, which likely will evolve into a massive fundraising effort. No additional information is available at this time.
- Modist brewing is accepting donation drop-off at 505 N 3rd St, Minneapolis, MN 55401 more info on items and drop off time check out their Instagram @modistbrewing
- Pimento Relief Services accepting donations drop- off looking for medical supplies/otc meds, home health and hygiene, PPE/wipes/Sanitizer, and Non- perishable food and water at 2524 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404
WHERE TO VOLUNTEER
- YWCA Midtown: Contribute much-needed personal hygiene and household items to support families who no longer have access to stores that closed due to damages and the pandemic. They are collecting items every Tuesday and Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Learn more.
- Lutheran Social Services: Help pack and distribute food to support south Minneapolis neighborhoods affected by the recent unrest. Flexible scheduling with opportunities most days of the week. Learn more.
- Neighborhood House in St. Paul: Help bag groceries, stock shelves and sort donations to their food shelf. Learn more.
- The City of Minneapolis has put together a list of resources to help residents who are in need of food, clothing, financial and medical care.
- Star Tribune: Need help? Want to help? Twin Cities groups offer resources for folks hurt by riots
- MPLS/STP Mag: How to Support the Twin Cities Right Now