The latest gem from Portland’s finest export blesses us with the Missy verse we’ve all been waiting for!
It’s been a good long while since we’ve had a Missy Elliot verse that we could really sink our teeth into. As fun as marionette-based Amazon commercials with Alec Baldwin might be, we prefer the Missy that just explodes with creativity and personality in her wordplay. It seems she’s found a kindred spirit in Portland rapper and lovable eccentric Aminé, making their “REDMERCEDES” remix a match made in bizarre rap heaven.
The beat’s foreboding purr is just the type of sultry apocalypse that’s made for the backdrop of Missy’s best singles. Aminé keeps right up with her over two verses, showing his firm growth as an artist is less than a year is really something special.
Oh, and London rapper AJ Tracey is here as well. While most other MCs slotted in this position would be an afterthought, Tracey’s style makes for excellent contrast on the track, tying it together with a spot of sleek class.
Welcome back Missy. We’ll now happily pretend that Fall Out BoyGhostbusters song didn’t happen.
– This Week in Migos finds One Direction member Liam Payne taking his first stab at a solo career with the Quavo-assisted “Strip That Down.”
– Hip-hop’s indieground elite Astronautalis, P.O.S. and Ceschi have united on the same track for the amazing “Sick!”
– Ice Cube has confirmeda new Friday movie in on the way. The final installment, it’s slated to be called Last Friday.
– New Release Friday this week blesses us with new projects from Snoop Dogg, David Banner, Buddy & KAYTRANADA, The Underachievers, and Faith Evans‘ duet album with her late husband Notorious B.I.G. is here at last.
– Finally, Q-Tip, Chuck D, Talib Kweli and other members of the hip-hop community shared some touching sentiments over yesterday’s passing of Soundgarden and Audioslave singer Chris Cornell‘s passing.
Like reading the List? You can hear it too. Listen to Go 95.3 every weekday at 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.