T.I.’s latest video gives respect to his influences and looks toward the future.
While rap remakes are fairly uncommon, even rarer are reimaginings of concepts executed in an open tribute. T.I.’s latest video for “Writer” channels 2Pac‘s “Ambitionz Az a Ridah” as B.o.B. and Translee join him for a blistering Tidal exclusive video.
From Outkast to UGK to Pac himself, the three give a proper ode to how their own writing was influenced, all without getting overly sentimental. The video itself features a desolate, graffiti-laden landscape, perfect for doing donuts and any other riding ambitions they may have.
While some online are questioning T.I. putting a video from his free Us or Else EP behind the paywall of a subscription service, there is something to be said for the direct inter-promotion the video could offer. Now young fans of T.I., B.o.B. or Translee can immediately access the very same artists they’re paying homage to on “Writer.”
Also notable is Translee stealing the show and absolutely bodying his verse. If he keeps making verses like this, Tidal might have a new reason to subscribe on their hands as well.
– Jaden Smith dressed as Batman for his new “Batman” video and, yes, it’s very Jaden.
– Year of the Migos continues as Quavo joins Keke Palmer for her “Wind Up” video.
– Action Bronson and Harry Fraud are making another Blue Chips mixtape, and he’s already come through with the single “Let Me Breathe.”
– Wale has a new video for “Colombia Heights,” but sadly it wasn’t filmed at the Heights Theater.
– Iggy Azalea is doubling down on “Switch,” performing it last night on CBS’ The Late Late Show with James Corden.
Like reading the List? You can hear it too. Listen to Go 95.3 every weekday at 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.