There have been hundreds of thousands of movie trailers made over the years…and the new trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog is…definitely one of them. I think that might be the nicest thing I can say about the trailer. Please feast your eyes on the below video. It is a lot to process, but trust me, you need to see this.
Alright, did you take that all in? Have you recovered yet? Wow. That sure…that sure was something, huh? That was so bad…that I think I actually loved it? I am still processing everything. Where to even begin?
- Who exactly is this movie for? People my age who grew up with Sonic? No offense to Sega, but he hasn’t really been on anybody’s radar for like 20 years. He doesn’t exactly have the nostalgic draw for people in my generation. Is it an attempt to introduce Sonic to kids and sell toys/video games? Then why make him so creepy and weird looking?
- Are we positive James Marsden did this movie willingly? Every scene he is in it looks like somebody is just off camera pointing a gun at him and forcing him to do the scenes.
- Jim Carrey…still a weirdo.
- So we are led to believe that Sonic is from space? And he can stop time? His rings teleport people? Well OK then.
- I guess the real winner here is Coolio since he probably got a nice royalty check for the use of the song Gangster’s Paradise. Makes sense that they would use that song. I am not sure about you, but when I think Sonic, I think Coolio as well.
This movie looks like a totally unnecessary cash-in of a hit video game from 25 years ago. That being said…I am 100% going to see this in the theaters. It definitely has the feel of one of those movies that looks so bad it will actually be amazing.